Interview: Mikill Pane

MPBy

‘I went to Riverside. Mental.’

Unfortunately, Mikill Pane was not referring to the asylum that is Elvet Riverside, but rather the nightclub in Newcastle where he partied at last year with Rizzle Kicks.  In fact, I’m not even totally sure Mikill Pane knows where Durham is. However, one of his latest tracks ‘Good Feeling’ suggests he knows a bit about student life, with lyrics like “You’ve just moved into your student house / You’re from the school of hard knocks, you’re in uni now.”  But what about student life up here? puts him to the test.

Three triples for…

1. £3
  2. £5  
  3. £7

“Pardon? I’ll go for £5.”

Which is the only to song you should be ending a night out on?

1. Wrecking Ball
  2. Common People
  3. That’s Amore

“[Laughs] I’m going to take a stab in the dark and say…Wrecking Ball?”

You want to bring the person you fancy a token of your love, do you bring them

1. A traffic cone
  2. A bouquet
  3. A pot noodle

“Hmm, so on a night out specifically?…I’m gonna go for a traffic cone.”

You’re complaining to your landlord because…

1. There is damp in your bedroom
  2. There is damp in your bedroom and your kitchen
  3. There is damp in every single room of your house

“Bedroom and kitchen.”

The locals’ pub tonight is looking good and you head in. But…

1. You are identified by your cocky London swag as a Southerner and wake up two hours later with a black eye. 
  2. You’re welcomed like a long lost son as you down pints of Newcastle Brown Ale.
  3. What!? You would never head into the locals’ pub, that’s suicide!

“C…No, B!”

Well-answered on the whole, although his answer to his last question might strike a bit of a health and safety issue if he was ever to come to Durham.  Elsewhere in our conversation, he expresses himself well; he tells the story behind his collaboration with Ed Sheeran on ‘Little Lady’ half-sentimentally, walking back to Camden from Old Street, boozing and just talking about their music.

A rap that he’d happened to write years ago clicked well with the imagery in Sheeran’s ‘A Team‘ and the rest was history.  Mikill approaches his rapping as collaborative, picking up not only from other people’s styles but from other people’s histories and backgrounds.

He has another collaboration EP out now which is definitely worth a looking over, even if only to hear the dulcet tones of Katie Price a.k.a. Jordan which are featured on one of the tracks.  It’s good-time music; nothing ground-breaking yet but light-hearted, indie rap in the same vein as Rizzle Kicks that’s bound to get you smiling.

Photograph: justjenknee