How you can help Durham Women’s foodbank initiative

Durham Women are doing their bit to help fight food poverty by starting a fundraising drive, aiming to raise at least £1000 for the County Durham Foodbank in line with Marcus Rashford’s #ENDCHILDFOODPOVERTY scheme.

The club are encouraging anybody who watches the live stream of their game against Charlton Athletic on Sunday to donate some cash on their JustGiving page– perhaps the cost of a match ticket, the price of a sandwich at the ground, or whatever a donor can afford. Every penny counts.

The game will be streamed live on Durham Women’s Facebook page from 11:55am, with the club looking to extend their unbeaten start to the season against early strugglers Charlton.

While donations will be immediately useful, this is part of an ongoing commitment by Durham Women to combat food poverty in the region. Last season, the club collected a bumper supply of food for the foodbank, with supporters chipping in to try and ensure that nobody in County Durham goes without a meal.

In the coming weeks, the club will be looking at different ways to support the cause, with players, staff, and officials all committing their time, effort, and money.

It is often easy to forget the raw hardship going on all around, perhaps because it is often a hardship hidden behind closed doors. Roughly one in five people in the UK live below the poverty line. That’s why any donation to justgiving.com/crowdfunding/durham-womenfc would be more appreciated than many of us could ever imagine.

Image: Durham Women.