Horseracing Society a runaway success as hundreds turn out for race day

Newcastle Racecourse

Durham University Horse Racing Society kicked off the post-exam season in thunderous style on 29th May with an incredible 600 students attending the annual race day at Newcastle Racecourse.

Despite the morning showers, punters flocked in their numbers on coaches to the venue and were not disappointed by the quality of racing.

The first race was won by a head by the outsider My Amigo with Blue Humour, a popular favourite, narrowly pipped at the post by the winner’s impressive late surge. However, it was onto the next as the best-priced 5-4 favourite Khalaas put in a strong performance under Paul Hanagan to take the spoils and deliver a decent result for punters.

Next up, favourite Card High won easily in the third race of the day, marvellously outstaying the rest of the field, whilst Mawaqueet ensured that two miles was no easy feat but got the job done in the next.

25-1 shot Margaret’s Mission impressed in the handicap to the delight of the bookies but Classic Flyer’s striking turn of foot over five furlongs in the last completed a solid return for many throughout the day.

Overall, the society’s second annual outing was a huge success, proving to be a popular new fixture in the summer diary.

Organiser said afterwards, “It was wonderful to see so many students were interested in horse racing and a delight we were able to accommodate taking such a large group. The society hopes to put on more of the same in the coming years.

“Fortunately, the racing proved to be top draw on the day and we can hopefully build on this success.”

Photograph: Peter Maddison via Geograph