Festival Focus: Ultra Music Festival 2015

Ultra

By Lara Santos

The Ultra Music Festival (UMF) is a worldwide event with some of the biggest names in the electronic music scene. Hosted in cities from Tokyo to Miami, the festival cannot be missed by those who live waiting for the beat to drop. Last summer I was lucky enough to have first-hand experience at Ultra-Europe. The event is hosted in Split, Croatia – while 2015 marks only the third year that UMF has taken place here, it has already become the place to be during early July.

Split lies on the breathtaking coast of the Adriatic Sea. A picturesque town dabbled with archways and cobbled pathways strewn in all directions, one would never picture it as the heart of the pulsing vibe which this festival brings. The town centre remains peaceful, as the venue, the Poljud Stadium, is near the coast heading north from the town (still only ten minutes by cab!). There is economical accommodation both in the town centre as well as nearing the stadium, enabling different settings on preference. The layout allows the perfect balance between relaxing morning strolls amongst quaint cafes and restaurants as well as a beach getaway, tied in with the adrenaline of the festival’s blasting line-up.

Easily on par with other major electronic festivals such as Tomorrowland, the UMF is three days of intensity during which one’s spirits will never once die down. With people arriving from all around the world, the tumult of nationalities, electric atmosphere and excited chants will keep you buzzing for hours on end. Last year’s line-up included major artists such as Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto and Hardwell on the main stage. Five AM survivors are spoilt for choice as closing artists surprise the audience with sunrise firework shows to accompany the blaring tunes.

For those who have not yet had enough, the festival then moves to the paradisiacal island of Hvar, where the setting is made more intimate. It becomes the ultimate pool party where artists DJ just a few metres away from the audience. Words fall short to describe the ongoing, tangible euphoria as artist after artist spin notorious tracks whilst surrounded by people who, just like oneself, only need the perfect company – and music. This festival is made up of everything and everyone. You will become Ultra.

All that is left then is for you to grab your jumbo flags, face paint, colourful tees (and, of course, your flower headbands) and escape to a three day summer paradise which will overwhelm you with memories of welcoming atmospheres, unforgettable people and, most importantly, amazing music which will buzz in your ears for days.

Image: Ultra Music Festival