Facing the real world after graduation

Throughout Christmas, every University student gets asked that one question: “So, what’s your plans after University?”. It’s practically unavoidable. It’s the one answer that everyone, your family, your friends, random people you meet, want the answer to. A question that has become increasingly difficult in recent years. 

For me, this question has always filled my mind with anxiety. I already do a degree which is considered to guarantee less financial stability after University as well as providing a less clear path. Everyday new advice is given to me on how to make sure I will be able to find a job after University, all as contradicting as each other. While there is a general consensus that you need to work hard on your degree, you somehow also need to find time to develop an impressive bank of skills that make you “employable”. 

The first part seems simple enough but the second part is sometimes harder. There are debates online about the right kind of work experience to get, along with debates about how long or short this said experience should be. There are conflicting reports about if doing extra activities at University is worth it, or whether you should dedicate your time to getting the best grades possible. The myth of a degree instantly getting you a job is well and truly dead.

The myth of a degree instantly getting you a job is well and truly dead

I have not even applied for one graduate job, yet I am constantly terrified that after every decision I have made I have inadvertently weakened my chance of financial stability after I graduate. It’s a never-ending battle. This has been made worse by the likelihood being that I will be graduating in or just after an economic crisis. The difficulties that I thought I would face have only increased.  It has now been considered as a certainty that I will move home after University. It is likely that I will not be as financially independent as I would like when I graduate. I also wanted to move to London after graduation; if I graduated now I would be unable to afford it and would need to stay in my native North East. 

There is no denying I am one of the lucky ones. I know that I will be able to live with my parents after I graduate providing support some are unable to access. If I don’t get a job after graduation I will temporarily be fine.  But what even is available after graduation? I worry that the graduate schemes which have been available to people who have graduated before me will no longer be available. As proven by the Civil Service Fast Stream, which was discontinued then continued, these traditional schemes which I could have relied on in the path are no longer available. 

Even outside these graduation schemes the number of jobs available seem to be decreasing. Despite the fact that headlines are full with stories of the government wanting to get people out of early retirement, it seems that the market for people who have newly graduated is shrinking. People are expecting years of experience for new graduates, especially at a time where they have less budget to hire. The market is simply more competitive and I remain anxious that I will not be able to keep up with this new competitive world especially in this time of crisis. 

Targetjobs are now predicting that graduate hires in the UK for 2023 will likely rise by 6%

However, despite the economic situation there are some glimmers of hope. Targetjobs are now predicting that graduate hires in the UK for 2023 will likely rise by 6%. While the situation is terrible it will improve. Will this provide a job I would be happy to go into? We will have to see. But does it give me hope that I will be able to secure a job? Yes. Targetjobs are also predicting the average graduate salary would be around £30,921, around £8,000 more than the average UK salary. This gives me hope that I will be able to graduate without having to try and find additional financial support or have to add extra financial pressure to my parents by moving home. 

However, if the last few years have taught us anything, it is that the future is unpredictable. I will worry about getting a job and being financially independent up until I finally have a good job post-graduation. I will probably continue to worry about keeping both those things until I retire. I will just have to hope, like every new graduate every year I will land on my feet.

2 thoughts on “Facing the real world after graduation

• When I graduated, many people scared me that I wouldn’t be able to find a job without experience, and none of the employers would want to train me. It’s good that I didn’t pay attention and quickly found a great job on the site https://layboard.in/vacancies/jobs-in-uae/jobs-in-dubai/speciality/dentist and abroad. It seems to me that there is always an opportunity to find a job, even if you have no experience.

• It’s better to just be inspired by these texts, structure, wording, and write your own cover letter. You can find a lot of useful tips on this here https://www.gotresumebuilder.com/job-letters . Indicate your qualities and skills necessary for the position for which you are applying.