Exclusive: June Ball will not offer refunds if students test positive for Covid-19

Attendees of Durham’s most elite ball will not be entitled to a refund if they test positive for Covid-19, Palatinate can reveal.

Every attendee at University College’s June Ball must show proof of a negative Covid-19 test taken in the previous 48 hours to gain entry. If the test is positive, the ticket holder must isolate, and will not be refunded for missing the event.

Organisers of the annual June Ball, which costs up to £145 per person, have said that students may still attend if a positive Lateral Flow Test is followed in time by a negative PCR test.

University College has hosted the white-tie event at Durham Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, since 1974. The June Ball website promises ticket holders a “once-in-a-lifetime night of grandeur and decadence”. 

A ‘Dining and Ents’ ticket at the Ball includes a lavish drinks reception, three-course meal, entertainment and food. The traditional ‘survivors’ breakfast’ will not take place this year.

June Ball will run over two days to accommodate for those affected by the cancellation of last year’s Ball due to Covid-19. Organisers have said that if the entire event is cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions, every ticket holder will receive a refund.

Ticket applications for the event closed last week. Those who applied for a ticket received no confirmation email and are yet to find out if they have secured a place.

It is unclear whether it would be possible to sell on a ticket in the event of a positive test. Castle Ball Committee were contacted for comment.

Image: rogiro via Creative Commons