Durham restaurant Faru receives Michelin recognition

Faru, a fine dining restaurant located on Durham’s Silver Street, has been named a Michelin favourite after only eight months of business.

The restaurant made the November Michelin Inspector’s Favourite New Restaurants list. The owners and husband-and-wife team, Jake and Laura Siddle, said they are “absolutely ecstatic” with the news. Jake is the former head chef of Newcastle’s Michelin-star-winning restaurant House of Tide, having worked his way up from chef-de-partie over nine years. Laura is House of Tide’s former front-of-house manager.

“Its name comes from an old English word for ‘journey’, but there is something decidedly contemporary about this city centre restaurant – from the airy, pared-back interior to the on-trend open kitchen and terse menu descriptions,” the inspectors said.

“Its name comes from an old English word for ‘journey’, but there is something decidedly contemporary about this city centre restaurant – from the airy, pared-back interior to the on-trend open kitchen and terse menu descriptions”

Michelin Star Inspectors

“An antique stained-glass window adds character and makes a fine backdrop for the chefs as they craft colourful, precisely executed dishes that exhibit well thought through flavour combinations. The warm, friendly service has a pleasingly relaxed feel,” they added.   

Laura said, “To be recognised for the work we are doing in our very own restaurant is just unbelievable. It’s been a whirlwind eight months for us and becoming business owners as well as working in the business has been an adjustment”. Jake added, “It just feels so surreal. To know our little restaurant in Durham has been featured in the Michelin Guide is just amazing.”

The couple, who opened Faru just eight months ago, says “it’s a massive achievement” for both them and the team.

Image: Georga Spottiswood