Durham Union Society bar warned to check campus cards

By Tania Chakraborti 

The Durham Union Society’s bar has reportedly come under scrutiny for their procedure and protocols relating to bar staffs’ checking of student campus cards and IDs, in the wake of the temporary St Aidan’s bar closure. 24s, which is on the Bailey, has asked its staff to check that everyone entering the bar is over 18 on particular evenings.

Students who cannot produce a campus card will allegedly be forced to leave the premises. There was also speculation among staff that the police may plant underage customers in bars in order to test out ID policies.

A member of bar staff, who wished to remain anonymous, told Palatinate: “We absolutely have [felt the pressure], there seems to be a stringent crackdown (at least on the side of bar staffing), inspired by fear surrounding the police operation which is speculated to have closed Aidan’s.”

When contacted by Palatinate regarding potential police involvement, Durham Constabulary’s Sergeant Kay Howarth stated: “We continue to carry out regular licensing checks across Durham as well as promoting the Challenge 25 initiative. We work closely with Durham County Council to ensure licensees are given our full support.”

In relation to the speculated underage plants, she added: “When we receive intelligence that underage drinking is taking place, we will deploy test purchasers in conjunction with Trading Standards. Our aim is to ensure Durham City is a ‘Safe City.'”

Photograph: Orangeaurochs via Flickr