Durham students remain among most satisfied in the UK, National Student Survey reveals

Library-SamuelSpencer-12By

Durham University students continue to be among the most satisfied in the UK, according to the results of this year’s National Student Survey (NSS).

Overall, 90% of students said they were satisfied with the quality of their course while studying at Durham, which marks a one percent decrease on the 2o14 results.

Durham’s 90% overall satisfaction rating for 2015 remains credibly higher than the national average of 86%. Students also rated the teaching on their course as 90% overall, compared to the national average of 86%.

The NSS, which measures overall student satisfaction with the quality of their higher education experience, asks students to evaluate their experience across eight areas of academic life: teaching, assessment and feedback, academic support, organisation and management, learning resources, personal development, Students’ Union, and overall satisfaction.

With respect to individual departmental scores, Educational Studies retained its 100% satisfaction rating for the third consecutive year. Sports Science improved by two per cent to achieve a 98% overall satisfaction score, in light of Durham being named The Times and Sunday Times Sports University of the Year 2015.

Other subjects also registered particularly high scores, such as Archaeology (97%), Physical Geography (97%), English Studies (96%), Theology & Religion (96%), and Philosophy (95%).

Dr Michael Gilmore, Academic Registrar at Durham University, said: “We are delighted that our students have such overall satisfaction with the experience they enjoy at Durham and we continuously strive to improve the educational and developmental opportunities we offer.”

Photograph: