Durham student to run 94km in 24 hours for Movember

A Durham student is intending to complete an ambitious run for charity. Starting from 8pm on Friday 6th November, Jack Chrisp, of Collingwood College, is aiming to run 94 km in 24 hours. This number represents the 94 men who take their own lives in the UK each week on average.

Chrisp plans to run 3.9km every hour. “Depending on how fast I run, I’m only going to be running for 25-30 minutes of each hour, so I’ll have about half an hour between runs where I’ll essentially eat, drink and try to recover a bit before the next one.”

“I went shopping yesterday and just bought a whole load of food I can cook quickly. My housemates might help out with the cooking, but tonight everyone will be asleep, so I will be on my own and I’ll have to work it all out myself.”

We’ve just gone into lockdown. I’m not doing anything else now, so I’ve got the time to do it.

Chrisp is not too concerned he will lack motivation, at least at the start: “that’s why I did it this way, and had the night shift as the first 8 or 9 hours, as they will be the easiest hours. If I was to do the dark bit when no one was going to be with me, right at the end, then it would be so much tougher.”

Chrisp’s reasoning for the run, he explains, is that “we’ve just gone into lockdown. I’m not doing anything else now, so I’ve got the time to do it. It was very much a spur of the moment thing. I thought, just give it a go.

“Plus, a few of my housemates are doing Movember, so I thought I could tie in my challenge with them. That’s why I chose 94km. I was originally going to do 2 miles an hour for 24 hours, but then I thought I could add a little bit more onto that, and it will make it fit in together more.”

“When I’ve done this before, I ended up thinking about absolute rubbish. I get distracted a lot, about random things. I assume my mind will just whizz.”

Everyone should get involved in things like Movemever in any way they can

At the beginning of the last lockdown, Jack rowed 5 marathons in 5 days.  Last time, he really pushed his fundraising efforts, so he feels he has “used up [his] fundraising credit for a while now.” 

“I didn’t want to ask friends and family and people to donate to me again. But then again, it’s Movember at the moment and I can’t grow a moustache, so it’s my way to get involved in it.”

In order to mitigate against the potential challenges of Durham’s hilly terrain, Chrisp plans to do most of his running by the River Wear. “Any kind of flat is obviously going to be easier, but I’ll be running 24 times so I’m going to have to change things up a bit, I’m sure.”

What clearly emerged was Chrisp’s commitment to the cause of men’s mental health. Movember, he says, “should be an important time for everyone. It is a huge, huge issue, and especially now, going into another lockdown, it’s going to be even more of an issue.” 

Last week, more people died from suicide than they did from Coronavirus. So it’s really something that everyone should be aware of and should be taking an active interest in.

He adds, “everyone should get involved in things like Movemever in any way they can. It does seem like quite an exclusive thing to get involved in, because the whole premise around it is growing facial hair. But that’s just not the case, and I think I’m demonstrating that. You don’t need to take it to this extreme, but absolutely anyone can be involved.”

“Last week, more people died from suicide than they did from Coronavirus. So it’s really something that everyone should be aware of and should be taking an active interest in.”

In preparing for the challenge, Chrisp was encouraged by the response of his peers. “Everyone is really supportive. Like most people, they are asking what are you doing? Why are you doing that? All my housemates, and some of my friends are keen to run some legs with me, which would be great. Having people with you makes such a difference.”

Despite his broad optimism, he explained that “tonight will be cold”, and that he had some small anxiety about the possibility of injury. “If I get injured it’s out of my hands really. Obviously I don’t want to pick up any kind of injury, but I am quite good at managing them. So I’m sure I’ll be able to tape it up somehow or, I don’t know, hope for the best.”

To donate to Movember, go to: https://uk.movember.com/donate