Durham shortlisted for three national awards

Durham University was shortlisted for three prestigious national awards over the summer, with the results being announced on 24th November. The University has entries in three categories of the Times Higher Education Awards 2016.

The work of Palace Green’s Library has been shortlisted for an Outstanding Contribution to the Local Community award due to its schemes to engage local people with both scholarly collections and research within the University.

The programme was launched in 2013 with the Lindisfarne Gospels exhibition in 2013 — a result of the library’s development of high quality exhibition facilities.

The second award is for Durham Business School’s commitment to engaging students with employers. The work to offer solutions to employers and to enable organisations to maximise engagement with Durham postgraduate business students and alumni has resulted in the Business School being shortlisted for the Outstanding Employer Engagement Initiative award.

The final award is for Outstanding Contribution to Innovation and Technology.

A chemistry research group led by Professor Jas Pal Badyal FRS developed liquid-repelling nanocoatings that have been applied to more than 100 million smartphones, 75% of the world’s hearing aids, and three million pairs of footwear.

Photograph: Durham University