Durham scientist receives honours

By Hannah Goldswain

Durham professor Jas Pal Badyal, FRS, a leader in the field of surface science, has been honoured by the National Academy of Science, India (NASI).

Elected as a Foreign Fellow, Professor Badyal is being honoured by India’s oldest science academy for his international research and contributions to nanolayer and surface science fields.

Badyal is considered a leader in the field of surface science.

Widely considered a leader in the field of surface science, Professor Badyal and his group at Durham University are interested in creating novel functional surfaces that can help address poverty in developing countries and also for commercial use. The work is contributing towards the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals including clean water and sanitation, good health and well-being, and no poverty.

Professor Badyal and his group have pioneered the invention of surfaces that can kill bacteria, grow cells outside the body and that can harvest clean drinking water which is important to improve sanitation in developing countries.

Professor Badyal and his group have pioneered the invention of surfaces that can kill bacteria and harvest clean drinking water

Professor Badyal was the first UK-born scientist to be awarded the Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI) medal in 2018 and in 2016 was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) by the UK and Commonwealth National Academy of Sciences.

As the first scientific academy in India, NASI seeks to promote scientific and technological research linked to societal welfare issues. Recognised by NASI, Professor Badyal has helped work towards alleviating poverty in developing areas through his surface science research.

Professor Badyal is the second Durham professor to be designated a Foreign Fellow by NASI, after Professor Sir Arnold Wolfendale, a former Astronomer Royal, in the 1990s.

Image by Duncan Hull via Wikipedia.