Durham Police Chief honoured by the Queen

Mr Barton receiving QPMBy

Durham Constabulary’s Chief Constable, Mike Barton, has this month received an honour from the Queen to recognise his services to the police force.

After being named in the 2014 Birthday Honours list, Mr Barton was invited to London to receive the Queen’s Police Medal, an award given for exceptional service or bravery.

Upon receiving the award, Mr Barton said:

“I’m immensely proud to have served the communities of Lancashire and County Durham and Darlington for over 34 years now.

“Police officers don’t join the service for public accolades – they are motivated because they want to make a difference. Of course, I take tremendous personal pride in being recognised by our Queen, but I am humbled because it wouldn’t have happened without the fantastic support I’ve had from my family and colleagues.

“I would like to think the award is a massive vote of confidence for Durham Constabulary.”

“I would like to think the award is a massive vote of confidence for Durham Constabulary.”

Beginning his career as a beat officer in Blackpool, the Chief Constable served 28 years in Lancashire in various uniform and detective roles. In June 2008, he joined Durham Constabulary as Assistant Chief Constable, being promoted to Deputy Chief Constable in 2009, and finally to his current position last year. In particular, Mr Barton is known for his tough stance on organised crime, and is a leading voice in the debate on how to target it.

However, Mr Barton has not been the only member of Durham Constabulary to receive honours this month. Five Durham police officers were shortlisted for an award at the Police Bravery Awards in London which they attended last Thursday evening.

PC Aimee Crawford, PC Gary Barnes, PC Michael Craggs, PC Norman Jubb and Sergeant David Wells were shortlisted for the award after they apprehended a violent suspect in a quiet County Durham village. The man resisted arrest so ferociously that he tore PC Jubb’s bicep from the bone, but was eventually detained thanks to the efforts of the five officers.

Photograph: Durham Constabulary