Durham local first to leave this year’s Bake Off

Loriea Campbell-Clarey, a Durham local has become the first contestant to leave this year’s Bake Off, which aired last night on Channel 4.

Campbell-Clarey, who works as a diagnostic radiographer, left the show after failing to impress judges, Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith, with her chilli chocolate cake with scotch bonnet chilli powder.

Campbell-Clarey told the Mirror that her early eviction from the show was fate, as it allowed her to leave the show’s social bubble in time to attend her grandmother’s funeral.

Due to Covid-19 restrictions, this year’s Bake Off contestants, hosts and crew were all required to form a social bubble together, which they were not allowed to leave until they were kicked off of the show. 

Highlights from last night’s show included the moment when pharmacy dispenser, Sura, knocked rival baker Dave’s cakes onto the floor during the technical challenge, whilst attempting to shoo away a fly.

Dave, a 30 year old security guard, initially appeared upset as Sura apologised, but then said: “Don’t worry it is fine, I’m sure they can go by what they looked like before it went over.”

“I wouldn’t have changed anything”

Loriea Campbell-Clarey

Other highlights included when one contestant attempted to make a cake modelled on the face of author and former Durham University Chancellor, Bill Bryson, during the showstopper challenge where the bakers were asked to create a cake bust of their celebrity hero. 

Last year, the Bake Off’s line up included Durham English Literature student, Henry Bird, who was kicked off the show during pastry week. 

After leaving the show, Loriea Campbell-Clarey commented: “I was happy with what I baked and I wouldn’t have changed anything, everything happens for a reason.”

Image: Mark Bourdillon/ Love Productions