Durham Dishes from Home Part 2: Flat White Kitchen and The Library’s Wing Wednesdays

By Emerson Shams

Dreaming of your favourite Durham foods? Well, in this series I’ll give you easy recipes for delicious staples from Saddler Street. I took to social media to find out what dishes people were missing most. I’ve done my best to make the meals as similar as possible to original recipes based on the menu descriptions. Flat White Kitchen, a Durham made institution, is known for their craft coffee drinks, lines up the wazoo, divine brunches consisting of homemade baked goods, pancakes, and avo toast. One of the most beloved dishes on their menu is their Ricotta pancakes, and so I have attempted to recreate them. The main aspects of this infamous dish are the pancakes themselves, fruit, maple syrup, and Cinder Toffee butter.

Flat White’s Ricotta Pancakes (V)

This recipe makes about 8-10 average sized pancakes; 25 mini pancakes. The Key thing to remember is that the Cinder Toffee butter needs to be prepared at least a few hours in advance, but best done the day before. The pancake recipe is Nigella Lawson’s.

Ingredients:

• Pancakes
    • 250 grams full fat ricotta cheese
    • 125 ml semi-skimmed milk
    • 2 large eggs (separate yolks from whites)
    • 100 grams plain flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • Pinch of salt
    • 2 teaspoons of groundnut oil (or another oil that has no distinct flavour)
  • Toppings
    • Real maple syrup
    • Fresh fruit (chopped)
    • Bananas, Strawberries, Blueberries
    • Cinder Toffee Butter
    • 100 grams caster sugar
    • 60 grams golden syrup
    • Pinch of salt

Method:

Cinder Toffee Butter

1. In a saucepan, put sugar, syrup, and a pinch of salt. Before turning on the heat, stir the ingredients together.
  2. Place the pan on the heat and let the mixture melt into a goo. It’s finished when it turns the colour of maple syrup (Approx. 3 min).
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter until it’s completely melted.
  4. Pour mixture into a stand mixture or large bowl with a hand mixture. Start on low and gradually increase the speed until reaching high. Beat on high until the mixture is creamy (Approx. 8-10 min).
  5. Pour into a jar and refrigerate to firm up. If it separates during the cooling process, simply stir together.

Pancakes

1. Put ricotta, milk, and egg yolks into a bowl and mix well to combine. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt and gently whisk to make a smooth batter.
  2. Beat egg whites until foamy (either by hand or mixer). Folk them into the ricotta mixture.
  3. Heat oil in a large frying pan, and pour in batter to desired size.
  4. Cook the pancakes for about a minute until golden and then flip them over and cook for another minute. Keep the pancakes warm by placing them on a plate and covering with aluminium as you work through the batter.
  5. Finish pancakes off with chopped fruit, maple syrup, and butter.

The Library pub, known for a wide range of good foods and themed days, is a common watering hole for most at Durham. However, you’ll never see the place more packed than on Wing Wednesdays! Getting all you can eat wings for 25p is genuinely the best deal you can get anywhere. Below is a simple recipe for making those wings any day of the week. There is also a recipe for making Buffalo sauce, or you can serve them with a store-bought sauce of your choosing.

The Library Bar’s Wednesday Wings

Wings

Ingredients:

• Wings + Drumsticks
  • Cooking oil
  • Sauce of your choice (Buffalo sauce recipe below)

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
  2. Make sure raw wings are patted dry with a paper towel.
  3. Place wings on a lined baking sheet (if you have a racked baking sheet, that’s perfect for this, but not necessary).
  4. Place in the oven for 25 minutes, then flip and cook for another 25. (Make sauce while you wait)
  5. In a pan, heat oil. Place cooked wings in oil for about 5 minutes to get them to crisp up. Make sure to not overcrowd the wings.
  6. Remove from oil, place on paper towels to let excess oil be collected and then toss in sauce of your choosing and enjoy!

Buffalo Sauce

Ingredients:

• 225g unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
  • 175 to 315 ml Hot Sauce [ranges based on how spicy you want the sauce] (Frank’s is recommended)

Method:

1. Melt butter in a pan and saute garlic in it on low. Make sure the butter doesn’t brown.
  2. Remove from heat and whisk in hot sauce for about a minute.

Note: For a sweeter sauce (Honey Mustard Buffalo Sauce) also whisk in 85g of honey and 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard.

Image via Pixabay

One thought on “Durham Dishes from Home Part 2: Flat White Kitchen and The Library’s Wing Wednesdays

• How much butter is needed for the toffee butter compound?