Durham climbs to top 50 in social sciences rankings

Durham University is now in the top 50 in the world for the Social Sciences, according to the latest Times Higher Education (THE) World subject league tables.

It has climbed 20 places to 36th in the rankings, showing its strength in both research and teaching.

Professor Tim Clark, Pro-Vice Chancellor for the Faculty of Social Sciences and Health at Durham University, said:

“This rise in our for Social Sciences is testament to the world class excellence of research and teaching that takes place within this field at Durham. I am delighted for all our staff who have contributed to this achievement as part of a collective effort across the disciplines.

“These further acknowledge the strength and reputation of social sciences research at Durham, carried out by our world-leading experts, which makes a real contribution to societies across the world.”

Commenting on the new position, Second Year Anthropology student told Palatinate:  “I think Durham does deserve the bump in completely. Staff here are world class in all disciplines, and having had lectures in three social science subjects, I can completely see why that has happened.”

“Last year I did wonder why we were so low, when the quality of research and teaching that comes out of the department is so high.”

The Times Higher Education Social Sciences league table takes into account a range of factors including teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income.

The success builds on Durham’s position in the over-arching THE World University published in September, rising 13 places to 70th, and its recent rise to 61st in the world in the prestigious QS World University rankings, its highest position ever.

Photograph: