DUBC success at British Rowing Championships

DUBC kicked off their season, racing at the British Rowing Championships held at Home Pierrepoint on 18th and 19th October. The annual regatta is attended by Olympians, university and club athletes alike, creating an extremely competitive but exciting racing environment.

British Rowing Champs pic
(Becky Dell, Hanna Gailis Inntjore, Charlotte Drury (women’s captain) and Amy Ellerker)

The first day of competition was a great success for both squads. Sam Tuck and Lloyd Seaman put in a strong performance for the men in the O 2x category, placing 12th overall and 4th in their O U23 Lwt 2x division, a great result in an event with 55 entries. The DUBC men also entered an open weight and lightweight four into O 4-, achieving 2nd and 6th respectively in the ‘E’ final, demonstrating the depth of the squad across both weight categories.

On the women’s side, the lightweights held their own in the O 2x division, with the first boat placing 3rd in the ‘D’ final and the second boat achieving a win in the ‘F’ final, a positive result in an very competitive field. However the greatest achievement of the day came from the women’s O 4- who won the U23 pennant in a time of 8:11.40. The crew finished 4th in the ‘A’ final behind two Leander Club boats and the winning crew which included Olympic champions Helen Glover and Heather Stanning. Hanna Gailis Inntjore, Charlotte Drury, and Becky Dell led the U23 field throughout the day, narrowly beating local rivals Newcastle University in the time trial and going on to extend this lead to just under 10 seconds in the semifinal. Charlotte Drury, women’s captain commented on the result, stating that ‘it was a good reward for the solid training we have done and shows that we have an exciting season ahead of us if we carry on like we are.’

The second day of the British Rowing Championships in Nottingham was cut short as winds of nearly 40mph meant that the semi-finals and finals scheduled for the Sunday could not go ahead, and medals were handed out according to previous results in the time trial. The lightweight men entered a quad and placed 16th in an open weight category, a strong performance despite the less than ideal conditions. The men’s eight came 13th overall and 5th in the university division in a tough field of 32 crews. The women also entered an eight and achieved 5th place overall with the 3rd fasted time among the universities, just 4 seconds behind the fastest university time.

The weekend’s results show great promise for the season to come. Club president James Styles summarised the event, emphasising the ‘excellent result from the W4- and a good effort from everyone racing in such terrible conditions.’

Photograph: