DUAFC set for huge final-day charity six-pointer

Durham University Association Football Club will continue their contribution to Team Durham’s ongoing commitment to Sport in Action with a charity football match for their men’s first team against local rivals Northumbria University on Wednesday 29th January.

This clash of northern rivals marks the final game of the regular season and doubles as an important charitable occasion with significant competitive ramifications.

A campaign of high points and narrow losses has left the team in fourth place – the final play-off place – of the six-team Premier North on 11 points.

Northumbria, two points and one place behind Durham but with a vastly inferior goal difference, will be looking to upstage the hosts in the last game of the regular season to secure a place in the eight-team national play-offs.

To add to the importance of the occasion, the women’s first team also play Northumbria in a title-decider on the same day.

The men’s match marks one of many charity events run by Team Durham throughout this academic year.

The Perfect Day Foundation, a charity which donates to worthy causes throughout Zambia, most notably Sport in Action, was established in 2008 to ensure that “friendships formed on the sports field of Zambia will develop to benefit further generations of sports people”.

As mentioned, the charity works closely with Sport in Action, promoting leadership, education, and HIV/AIDS awareness through sport.

Charity is an increasingly central part of sport at Durham University, and Team Durham’s continued support of Sport in Action has so far raised over £1,100 to help fund sports equipment for sites across Zambia’s capital, Lusaka.

Indeed, this support is emblematic of Team Durham’s stimulation through sport ethos, ensuring positive development within programmes that engage and work with youth communities.

By drawing on the popularity and profile of football at Durham for a charitable purpose, the match represents a chance to not only support the club and University, but also to illustrate the standard of football at both DU and college level.

The event also promises to have a great atmosphere and a big crowd, especially as Northumbria claim that they will be bringing a large travelling contingent down from Tyneside.

The Durham Divas, the University’s cheerleading team, are also set to perform at half-time, thus increasing the extent to which Team Durham’s sporting prowess will be on show.

A £3 donation constitutes the entry fee and will also ensure entry to Players nightclub after the game. These donations can be made at the Bill Bryson Library beforehand or on the gate itself on Wednesday.

Image by Bernadette Wang