DU teams see gold at BUCS Big Wednesday

By James Smith

Sports Editor

Hosted at the University of Nottingham on 27th March, the 2019 Big Wednesday saw sixty top university teams descend upon the East Midlands to see the end of the various 2018/19 Championships and Trophies.

Ten Durham teams travelled South to attempt to claim Gold in Lacrosse, Volleyball, Basketball, Water Polo, Hockey, Tennis, and Fencing.

The day began well with the Women’s Lacrosse 2’s beating Birmingham ladies 11-9 to win the Women’s Trophy. This was an especially well-fought victory, the score at half time having been five apiece.

Ten Team Durham teams travelled south

This was followed by victory for the Women’s first Volleyball team who ran out 3-1 victors against Northumbria just after lunchtime.

The Women’s 1st Tennis were unfortunate to lose to Stirling in between the two matches.

Durham Men’s 1st Fencing, Women’s Lacrosse 1’s, and Men’s Lacrosse 1’s also all won their ties to add to the silverware haul being taken back up north.

The Women’s Lacrosse 1’s, as mentioned, won the Championship for the fifth time in a row, having not lost a league game all season

Men’s 1st Hockey were unlucky to lose 4-2 on Flicks, whilst Women’s 1st Water Polo, Women’s 1st Basketball, and Men’s Volleyball 1’s all came narrowly close to victory.

The Women’s Lacrosse 1’s, as mentioned, won the Championship for the fifth time in a row, having not lost a league game all season. Their dominance of the league stage saw them sit with a goal difference of ninety-eight after only ten matches.

Special mention must also be given to Women’s Rugby Union squad whose 1st XV won 34 – 12 against Hartbury college in the semi-final of the Rugby Championship at MC, having won every other game so far this season. The other semi-final is between Exeter and Cardiff Met.

Image: Team Durham