Deputy Vice-Chancellor departs for new role

by

The Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Professor Anthony Forster, has left Durham University to take up the position of Vice-Chancellor at the University of Essex.

Professor Forster is a political scientist, and has contributed much to the University since he joined Durham in 2006.

The Deputy Vice-Chancellor is responsible for all aspects of the education and student experience for Durham’s undergraduates and postgraduates. As well as this, he takes part in the leadership of a range of issues including Human Resources, diversity and equality, University IT, and employability and skills.

Academically, Professor Forster is an expert on British defence policy, with a special interest in the duty of care owed by the government to British servicemen and women. He has published widely on the armed forces and politics, and had held the position of Special Advisor to the House of Lords Select Committee on Common Foreign and Security Policy.

In his time in Durham he held the post of Executive Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Health before becoming Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) in 2008.

David Currie, Chair of the University of Essex governing body, Council, said: “Professor Forster will bring wide strategic leadership and management experience to Essex.

“He has played a leading role in placing research-led teaching, growth in postgraduate student numbers, internationalisation of the curriculum and development of international partnerships at the heart of Durham’s strategy.”

Professor Chris Higgins, Vice-Chancellor of Durham University, said: “I am pleased to congratulate Professor Anthony Forster on his appointment as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Essex, a role which he will take up later this year.

“Anthony has given much to Durham University over the past six years, first as Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Health, and latterly as Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) and Deputy Vice-Chancellor.

“We all owe Anthony a debt of gratitude for helping to ensure that research-led education is placed at the heart of our strategy and the academic experience we offer our students.

“He is the latest in a long line of Durham staff and alumni to become a Vice-Chancellor at universities around the world and on behalf of everyone at Durham we wish him well for the future.

Discussions about a replacement for Anthony will take place in due course.”

One thought on “Deputy Vice-Chancellor departs for new role

• This sounds exactly like a University-issued press release!

Could you not have written something about how senior university figures actually affect students (eg which decisions they make), or asked some students who they would like as a replacement or what they think about the university’s senior leadership team?