Competition: Win a set of Pelican Online Books

Photograph: Pelican Books
Photograph: Pelican Books

After a hiatus of almost three decades, Penguin has launched a website for their iconic non-fiction paperbacks, Pelican Books, revolutionising the way we read books online.  The first imprint appeared in 1937 with the publication of George Bernard Shaw’s The Intelligent Women’s Guide to Socialism, Capitalism, Sovietism and Fascism and continued with thousands of books across a massive range of subjects, selling over 250 million copies.  Aimed at the everyday reader, Pelican Books gives concise introductions to big subjects, by world experts.

Designed to be read not only on a browser but also across the full range of smartphones and tablets, these online books have an automatic bookmarking system across all  your devices so you can always pick up where you left off.  They also have the ability to highlight passages of text to save for later that you can share on social media, with footnotes embedded in the text for easy and immediate reference, and maps and diagrams in full colour.

Six titles will be added to the Pelican series in 2015:

Classical Literature by Richard Jenkyns – 29th January 2015

Who Governs Britain? by Anthony King – 9th April 2015

How To See The World by Nicholas Mirzoeff – 4th June 2015

The Meaning of Science by Timothy Lewens – 27th August 2015

Social Class in the 21st Century by Mike Savage – 3rd September 2015

A Day in the Life of the Brain by Susan Greenfield – 5th November 2015

Penguin is offering Palatinate readers a set of five online books, 25 stylish laptop stickers and 25 posters.  To win, send the answer to the following question to books@palatinate.org.uk with ‘Competition’ in the subject line.  

DEADLINE: December 4th

Question: Who was the founder of Penguin Books?