CCAFC 24-hour charity football match returns

Collingwood College Association Football Club’s (CCAFC) 24-hour charity football match has returned for another year, this time in support of the Rape and Sexual Abuse Counselling Centre (RSACC), which operates in Darlington and County Durham.

CCAFC, the biggest amateur football club in the UK, supported the charity last year as well but were unable to undertake the yearly 24-hour charity football match due to coronavirus restrictions and the first national lockdown.

This year, as well as having the RSACC logo on their football shirts, the club have already undertaken a 24hr charity run through Durham City. However, the continuing Covid-19 restrictions have meant that the football match fundraiser has not been possible until now.

Speaking about the event, Dan Aichen, 4th year student and member of CCAFC’s executive, commented:

“Sexual violence is endemic throughout our society, and sadly colleges and universities are no exception. We believe by raising awareness of this amongst our peers, and by challenging the toxic masculine behaviour that supports a rape culture we will help to reduce sexual violence.

“RSACC does fantastic work supporting survivors through expert counselling and other services, but we know that they have an ever-increasing waiting list, with some survivors waiting up to 9 months before they can receive the support and care they need. Therefore, as well as raising awareness, it’s vital that we raise as much money as we can to help survivors get support for their trauma and to hopefully lead healthier lives.”

Isabel Owens, Deputy CEO of the RSACC, said it had been “fantastic working with CCAFC” over the past couple of years.

“We have been overwhelmed by their determination – in the face of a global pandemic – to raise vital funds for us. Every year is tough for a charity like ours, but this year has been particularly bad for survivors. Lockdowns have further impacted their trauma, and for some limited their ability to escape abusive homes. 

“Every pound raised for us, means a survivor is closer to moving off our waiting lists and into our counselling rooms.”

The match, scheduled to start today at midday at Collingwood College’s Multi-Use Games Area, will run until midday on the 12th June with all proceeds from the JustGiving page and the raffle, going directly to charity.

Click here for the link to the JustGiving page, and see below the announcement video featuring TalkSport’s very own Graham Courtney.

Image: CCAFC