Budget Meals: Shakshuka

As a fourth-year science student my lunches have consisted mostly of premade sandwiches or leftovers for the last three years. Now the age of online university has dawned I am enjoying experimenting with trying out new lunch recipes.

Last week I decided to cook a variation of shakshuka. This meal took approximately 20 minutes to make (perfectly timed in between zoom lectures) and I reheated half for lunch the next day. To make this meal more filling you could decide to add either chickpeas or black beans to the tomato sauce. Alternatively, in the last two minutes of the cooking process you could add some spinach to this dish.

The total cost of this meal is approximately £1.50 for 2 servings (with pitta bread)

Ingredients:

• 1 red onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 tin of tomatoes 
  • 2 eggs 
  • Half a red pepper 
  • 1 chilli 
  • 2 pitta breads
  1. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped red onion and fry. After 8 – 10 minutes add the chilli and garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes and beans (if using), then simmer for 5 minutes.
  2. Make 4 dips in the sauce and crack an egg into each one. Cook for around 6 minutes.
  3. Serve with warm bread if you wish. I served this dish with pitta bread.
Image via @trytocookwithmia

The prices for these recipes have been calculated using prices from tesco.com for the relevant quantities of each ingredient.

For more recipe ideas follow @trytocookwithmia on Instagram.

Featured Image via Unsplash