Breaking: Large fire at Durham construction site

By Palatinate News

The Milburngate construction site opposite Durham station has been evacuated due to a large fire.

County Durham & Darlington Fire & Rescue Service have said that eight crews are currently at the scene. Firefighters from Durham, Spennymoor, High Handenhold & Newton Aycliffe were mobilised to the scene just after 2pm. The fire service has advised against travelling into the city centre.

One person has been treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, and multiple ambulances were seen heading towards the incident.

A worker from the site told Palatinate that the fire was caused by an accident with steel welding equipment, causing it to spread across the walls of the building. Another suggested that the insulation had caught fire, increasing the rate at which the fire spread.

Arriva North East has said that due to the fire, services in the Durham area are subject to delays. Local residents have been asked to close their windows and doors. The top of North Road has been cordoned off, as has the A690 leading to Milburngate Bridge.

Smoke can be seen from the top of Claypath, and Durham Cathedral, usually visible from the roundabout, is blocked by smoke from the site. Fire trucks are on site and two ambulances were seen headed towards the fire.

Images: and