Atmospheric carbon dioxide at highest level in human history

By Smog_KevinDooley

Concentrations of carbon dioxide in the earth’s atmosphere have reached 400 parts per million (ppm) for the first time in human history, according to readings from the US government observatory in Hawaii.

The last time this amount of greenhouse gas was in the air was three to five million years ago, when sea levels were forty meters higher than today and the Arctic was ice free. Similar conditions are expected to return in time – with devastating consequences for human civilisation – unless CO₂ emissions are rapidly curtailed.

“It symbolises that so far we have failed miserably in tackling this problem,” said Peter Tans, who runs the Mauna Loa observatory which recently reported the reading.

The 400 ppm level may reduce slightly as the northern hemisphere enters the growing season, but this level is expected to be consistently surpassed in the coming years.

Scientists have used the to urge world leaders to take urgent measures to combat global warming. Sir Brian Hoskins, a leading climatologist from Imperial College London, said the figure should “jolt governments into action”.

Scientists have long argued that carbon dioxide concentrations must be pushed back to 350 ppm to avoid a catastrophic 2°C rise in temperatures, as the 350.org campaign demands. A rapid transition away from fossil fuels would be needed to achieve this, with oceans and forests absorbing excess carbon dioxide to bring concentrations back down to a safe level.

Edward Davey, the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change also used this opportunity to hit back at climate change sceptics, saying: “This isn’t just a symbolic milestone, it’s yet another piece of clear scientific evidence of the effect human activity is having on our planet”.

The comes several weeks after the European Parliament voted against a plan to undertake vital reforms to the Emissions Trading Scheme.

Bob Ward, policy director on climate change at the London School of Economics reflected: “We are creating a prehistoric climate in which human societies will face huge and potentially catastrophic risks. Only by urgently reducing global emissions will we be able to avoid the full consequences of turning back the climate clock by 3 million years”.

Photograph: Kevin Dooley

2 thoughts on “Atmospheric carbon dioxide at highest level in human history

• THE WHOLE EARTH AT ONE TIME HAD A UNIFORM TEMPERATURE AND CLIMATE. The
    Bible in Genesis 1:6 teaches that there was water above the sky. This
    condition doesn’t exist today because that water fell upon the earth
    during the great Noahic flood.

The water above the sky would have had a greenhouse effect so that
    the temperature around the globe would have been uniform and tropical,
    even at the North and South poles.

Please read my popular
    Internet article, ARE FOSSILS REALLY MILLIONS OF YEARS OLD?
    Evolutionary dating methods are not infallible and far from accurate.

Check out some of my Internet articles and sites: NATURAL LIMITS OF
    EVOLUTION, WAR AMONG EVOLUTIONISTS (2nd Edition), NO HALF-EVOLVED
    DINOSAURS, DOES GOD PARTICLE EXPLAIN UNIVERSE’S ORIGIN? THE SCIENCE
    SUPPORTING CREATION

Sincerely,
    Babu G. Ranganathan*
    (B.A. Bible/Biology)

Author of the popular Internet article, TRADITIONAL DOCTRINE OF HELL EVOLVED FROM GREEK ROOTS

*I
    have given successful lectures (with question and answer period
    afterwards) defending creation before evolutionist science faculty and
    students at various colleges and universities. I’ve been privileged to
    be recognized in the 24th edition of Marquis “Who’s Who in The East” for
    my writings on religion and science.

• Yes that’s true & the Flood of Noah’s Day explains seashells & tropical animals found “quick frozen” on tops of mountains with tropical vegetation still in their mouths, and these guys & tropicals plants frozen at the North & South Pole!

When that water canopy fell, apparent there was a quick freeze at the poles & the earth tilted as a result.