A “significant” number of students to face a delay in receiving their final degrees

By Emily Doughty, and

A “significant” number of students are facing delays in getting degree results as Durham University begins publishing results. 

Students within the departments of Physics and Psychology, who should have received their grades on Tuesday, did not receive their final results.

The recent decisions of the Pro Vice Chancellor for Education and Durham University leadership, to provide interim degree classifications as a response to the University and College Union (UCU), has reached national news.

The BBC released coverage on the ‘“significant” number of Durham University students’ who ‘face a delay in receiving their final degree results due to a marking boycott by academics’. 

Students within the departments of Physics and Psychology… did not receive their final results

The national broadcaster echoed Palatinate’s coverage of the email updates from the University, emphasising their determination to provide classifications “as soon as they are available”. 

The article comes at the start of the University’s publication of examination results across all years, with members of the University undergraduate and postgraduate student body receiving updates on their classification decisions throughout the next two weeks.

A University spokesperson said ““The majority of Durham’s undergraduate students will graduate with a classified degree or an interim award, while, unfortunately, a significant number of students will face delays in receiving all their marks and final classifications. 

“We deeply sympathise with our students, already impacted by the pandemic, who now endure further uncertainty and anxiety.  

“We are reassuring our students that any remaining work will be marked as swiftly as possible, and we will provide marks and final classifications as soon as they are available.  

“We will maintain academic standards and are accountable to the Office for Students on this.   

“All students are invited to ceremonies in Durham Cathedral this summer”

durham university spokesperson

“We communicate regularly with students and are offering them individual support, including liaising directly with employers or other universities where they are continuing studies.  

“All students are invited to ceremonies in Durham Cathedral this summer. We have offered further ceremonies at a later date to those who cannot receive a final degree at the present time.  

“It is deeply disappointing that the UCU have implemented a national marking and assessment boycott, and that some of our staff have chosen to take part. The impact of the industrial action is concentrated in a few departments.   

“As a university we are part of national pay bargaining. We are caught up in a dispute that affects 145 higher education institutions.  

“The dispute is the result of an aggregated national ballot carried by a narrow majority of UCU members. Although we have made strenuous efforts, in dialogue with the employers’ body, UCEA, to seek a way forward, this is not an issue we can resolve locally. 

“While we deeply appreciate the cost-of-living pressures on all our staff, universities also face significant financial challenges.”  

Image: Trevor Littlewood