Zamzam Ibrahim elected NUS President

Zamzam Ibrahim has been elected NUS President 2019/20 at the NUS National Conference 2019, Palatinate can exclusively reveal.

Ibrahim ran alongside four other candidates: Bilal Bin Saqib, Justine Canady, Meike Imberg, and Nelly Kibirige on the first day of NUS National Conference at the SEC Armadillo, Glasgow.

Ms Ibrahim, who was endorsed by Durham SU President George Walker, titled her candidacy ‘A fighting NUS’

Charlie Walker, Durham SU Opportunities Officer, and Society & Citizenship NEC Place, said: “I’ve enjoyed working with ZamZam this year and respect her immensely even though she wasn’t my first choice for President.

“Whether people voted for her or not I think we should all support her at a difficult time for NUS. Everyone’s attention now will be on her position on NUS Reform and I look forward to hearing what she says.”

Ibrahim currently sits on the NUS UK board as NUS Vice-President (Society & Citizenship), and previously President of the University of Salford Student Union in 2017/18.

In an enigmatic speech to Conference, Ibrahim promised to lead a National Student Strike, which would have three demands: free education, introducing a better EMA and bringing back the post-study Work Visa.

Her manifesto also promised to fight for liberation campaigns, including reversing the defunding of the NUS Trans Campaign.

It also included pledges to fight to secure international representation within the NUS and campaign to secure EU citizens rights in the post-Brexit era.

Each candidate delivered a 3-minute speech, reduced from 5 minutes in previous years, part of a wider reorganisation of Conference to take into account time to debate NUS reform tomorrow.

The NUS made headlines back in November after a letter from President Shakira Martin and acting chief executive Peter Robinson declared that the NUS was unable to repay a £3m deficit, according to The Guardian.

To solve its financial issues, NUS cut half of its jobs, according to the BBC.

In her opening speech at NUS Conference, current President Shakira Martin acknowledged, “We are having problems that we need to sort out”.

She went on to admit: “As I stand on this stage today, we should have run out of cash”.

#NUSNC19 continues in Glasgow until Thursday 11 April.

You can follow Durham Students’ Union coverage on Twitter @durhamsu and Instagram @durham.su

Photograph:

@annatatha