Winners Announced – Student Art Prize 2019/20

The winners of the Student Art Prize 2019/20 were announced this evening in a live presentation, opened by Vice Chancellor Stuart Corbridge.

Cash prizes of £1500, £1000 and £500 were awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places respectively. Prizes of £100 were awarded for two highly commended artworks. Funding was provided by Durham alumnus Richard Roberts.

Furthermore, a People’s Poll was conducted at the event – whereby guests voted for their favourite shortlisted artwork. 

The first place prize winner and the People’s Poll winner were offered the opportunity for their artwork to be accessioned into the University Art Collection. 

First place: ‘Hands of Acceptance’ by Alice Stubbings

Second place: ‘Ascension’ by James Bailey

Third place: ‘The Wisdom of Age’ by

Highly commended: ‘Papa Gus’ by Lizzie English & ‘Kaleidoscope’ by Zihan Zhou

People’s Poll winner: ‘Papa Gus’ by

By Arla David

The Student Art Prize 2019/20 launched in October of last year. Although Durham University does not formally offer courses in visual arts, interest in and talent for visual arts is evidenced by the numerous art societies, events and exhibitions organised by students each year.

The aim of the Student Art Prize was to advance and encourage visual arts at Durham University.

By James Bailey

Speakers included Vice-Chancellor Stuart Corbridge and the Prize’s sponsor, Richard Roberts. In his address, Mr Roberts highlighted the importance of visual arts and the ability to “creatively imagine” in supporting good mental health.

Palatinate spoke to Mr Roberts earlier in the year about his personal motivations for supporting visual arts at Durham University.

It is hoped that the Student Art Prize will be established as an annual event, and that each year, two winning student artworks will be accessioned into the Art Collection. 

Over 75 artworks were submitted for consideration. The 21 shortlisted works can be viewed here.

Image: Drish Patel