Wildcats’ roaring comeback sets up cup victory

wildcatsby

Durham Wildcats 78 – Cheshire Phoenix 75

Last weekend provided another example of the potential of the Durham Wildcats as they fought back from 15 points down to beat Cheshire Phoenix in Newton Aycliffe and advanced to the second round of the BBL Cup for the first time.

In an up and down game, the Wildcats were constantly challenged by their opponents, the Phoenix and the hard-fought nature of their win is reflected in the margin of victory.

For a large part of the third quarter, it appeared that the Wildcats would, again, fail to qualify for the second round of the BBL Cup as the Phoenix’s lead crept into double figures. However, important scores from Ginty, Huffor and Evans reduced the arrears and once level, the Wildcats never looked back.

A positive start saw the Wildcats edge their whiskers in front early on, however, some good attacking play from Cheshire Phoenix enabled them to jump ahead and finished the first quarter in the lead, by 28 points to 21.

The second quarter continued in much the same vein and it appeared that Cheshire had an answer to any basket from the Wildcats. As a result, the Phoenix led by 11 points at the half-time interval.

After a cagey opening to the second half and only 15 minutes remaining on the clock, it was clear that the Wildcats would have to produce something special to turn the game around. This duly arrived in the form of two 3 pointers from Devin Ginty which were followed by a string of key baskets. With a minute remaining in the third quarter, Attah completed the Wildcats’ comeback.

By the fourth quarter it was clear that the Wildcats had gained the momentum and were being roared on by their passionate fans. Attah and Ginty held their nerve to give Durham a 6-point advantage with only a couple of minutes remaining and this enabled them to hang on to a crucial victory by 78 points to 75.

Durham Wildcats will play either the Sheffield Sharks or the London Lions in the next round of the cup and will hope to improve on two wins from their last three games in their next league fixture, against the Sharks, this evening.

Logo: Durham Wildcats