Widespread condemnation at swastika graffiti by Durham bandstand

A swastika and other graffiti drawn on a Durham information board have been widely condemned and removed, with the County Council urging anyone with information regarding the incident to contact Durham Constabulary.

The graffiti was drawn on an information plaque by the bandstand, which is close to Durham Racecourse. The police are treating the incident as a public order hate crime offence.

Durham County Council said they had the graffiti removed “as soon as we were made of [it]”.

Durham’s Jewish Society told Palatinate: “We, as a Jewish Society, condemn any form of antisemitism or intolerance. The graffiti found in Durham is unacceptable and will be reported. We are grateful for the wider community’s support whilst incidents such as these are on the rise.”

They added that “we are available as a team to provide support to anyone, please feel free to reach out to us via our social media page, Durham University Jewish Society 2021-22 or via email at jewish.society@durham.ac.uk”.

Durham Constabulary told Palatinate: “The incident has been recorded as a public order hate crime offence, and will be thoroughly investigated for all solvability factors, including viewing CCTV footage of the area.”

Gordon Elliott, Durham County Council’s head of partnerships and community engagement, said: “Hate crime has no place in society and we condemn this act.

“We stand together with Durham Constabulary and other partners through the Hate Hurts campaign to promote equality and maintaining County Durham as a welcoming, inclusive and safe place for all.”

Inspector Luke Terry, of Durham City Neighbourhood Police Team, told Palatinate: “We take incidents of hate crime very seriously, and will not tolerate them within our communities.

“We have a dedicated team of Cohesion and Neighbourhood officers on hand to support individuals that have been affected by these types of crimes, and would always encourage residents to report their concerns to us.”

If you would prefer not to make a report of hate crime directly to police, you can use the TrueVision online form here.

Image: dkodigital via flickr