Weekend roundup: successful weekend for Durham teams

In some of the last fixtures of a busy first term, Team Durham continued their run of fine form with a superb set of results across multiple sports over the weekend.

The American Football team firmed their grasp on top spot of the Premier League with a hard-fought 28-9 win over Loughborough.

Durham’s Water Polo side also claimed first place with a comfortable 17-9 victory over the same opposition. The women had an equally successful weekend, easily brushing aside Northumbria to win 19-3 as they battle to claim a place in the North One play-offs.

The second women’s futsal team also had success against Northumbria, sweeping past their opponents to win 12-2. Despite narrowly losing their second game of the day to Leeds Beckett, the side are sitting pretty in second place and are still in the Knockout Trophy.

It was a busy weekend of hockey with five teams in action. The 2nd XI women’s side beat Sheffield Hallam 2-0 and the women’s 3rd team claimed a gritty 1-0 victory over Richmond. However, the men’s 2nd XI lost a ding-dong battle at Alderley Edge – going down 5-3 at Alderley Edge. The 3rd team fared better, sneaking past Whitley Bay 1-0. The 4th team also emerged victorious, defeating Sunderland 3-2.

Both Durham’s Men and women volleyball teams had successful weekends. The women defeated Newcastle Staff 25-11, 25-12 and 25-15 to stay top of their league. Meanwhile, the men defeated Hull Valley Thunder 25-21, 25-17 and 25-23 and Blyth Valley 25-17, 25-9 and 25-17.

Finally, the Durham Wildcats had a mixed weekend. After going down 99-83 to local rivals and league leaders Newcastle Eagles, the Wildcats exacted revenge on Sunday as they powered past a helpless Surrey United side, winning 101-57. The win lifts Durham to seventh in the British Basketball League.

The next fixtures are on Wednesday 28th January

Photograph: Team Durham