Vice-Chancellor pays tribute to Prince Philip following his death

The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Stuart Corbridge has paid tribute to His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, who died today aged 99. 

The Vice-Chancellor said: “Our community is deeply saddened to learn of the loss of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh. Our thoughts and best wishes are with Her Majesty The Queen and The Royal Family at this time.”

“Durham University is proud to have hosted The Duke of Edinburgh on many occasions, where he met with students and staff and visited Durham Castle and our Queen’s Campus in Stockton. In 1951, His Royal Highness was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Civil Law.”

The Bishop of Durham also released a statement paying his respects to Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, who was married to Queen Elizabeth for 73 years.

The Rt Revd Paul Butler Bishop of Durham said: “The Church of England in the Diocese of Durham and people across our region joins Her Majesty The Queen, members of the Royal Family and those across the country who mourn the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. His dedication to Queen and Country born out of his Christian faith stands as an inspiration for us all.

“He gave a lifetime of devoted public service. He was a distinguished young Lieutenant in the Royal Navy during the Second World War. He was outstanding as consort to The Sovereign. An exile as a baby from his native Greece, Prince Philip committed himself and his future to the United Kingdom. 

“He is well remembered for his love of a wide range of sports, his sense of humour, and his long and devoted marriage to The Queen. As one baptised in the Orthodox faith, Prince Philip shared in a truly global Christian faith. May he Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory.

The Bishop of Durham also drew on his memories of meeting Prince Phillip. He said: “It was my personal privilege, as a bishop, to meet Prince Philip on a small number of occasions. Each time he took a keen interest in the people and setting in which we met. He listened thoughtfully and was always ready with an apposite comment or observation.”

Following the Duke’s death, comedy shows will be suspended on many channels and primetime shows will be delayed or replaced with special programming.

Image: ANDY RAIN/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock