Van Mildert bar reopens a week after police recommended closure

Van Mildert College Bar has reopened after its closure last week due to actions by a group of students which were “in breach of the University’s Codes of Practice and Conduct, as well as the College bar’s licensing conditions.”

Club or society socials are now forbidden from taking place in the College Bar or JCR for the rest of Michaelmas Term, and the Bar will only be available for use by Van Mildert College students until the end of this term.

The bar will no longer be serving pitchers, and wine will served by the glass only, other than during formal dinners.

College Officers decided to close the College Bar on Wednesday 17th October following a routine police inspection.

University Liaison Officer Rebecca Carey of Durham Constabulary, told Palatinate: “We are working closely with Durham University to offer support and advice on this matter.”

In an email to students, Van Mildert College reiterated that the University does not allow any type of drinking games, which includes activities which encourage the consumption alcohol “at a rapid rate” or pressurise individuals to drink.

It also stated that failure to comply with Bar regulations may result in being banned from the College Bar, and College or University disciplinary action being taken.

The College Officers said: “Van Mildert Bar has a reputation of being welcoming and very well run.

“It is incumbent on us all to ensure the continuance of an inclusive and safe environment and to re-establish our excellent reputation for the benefit of College now and in the future.

“The closure was to ensure that measures are in place which clearly demonstrate that we are fulfilling our licensing objectives.”

Owen Adams, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience), previously told Palatinate:

“We take these matters extremely seriously, as we strive to ensure our University environments and college communities are friendly, safe, and respectful for all students, staff, and visitors.

“Following police advice, College Officers decided to close the College Bar, which will remain closed while investigations continue. We cannot further while investigations are underway.”

Photograph: Van Mildert College

@annatatha