University to honour all successfully met offers with places in 2020 or 2021

Durham University is to honour all offers that are successfully met, following the government’s change in its A Level results policy on Monday.

In a statement this morning on its website and social media accounts, the University confirmed that all students who met their offer grades, whether using the algorithm-moderated marks on results day or their Centre Assessed Grades (CAGs), will be admitted to Durham. 

We understand this has been an extremely challenging time for applicants

Durham University

Students who successfully appeal their grades to meet their offer will also be accepted into Durham. However, any student whose CAGs or appealed grades do match the conditions of their offer will not be granted a place. 

The announcement also included details about capacity issues, which will mean that some offer holders whose places at Durham were not confirmed following the initial release of results “will have to defer entry to 2021 in order to enrol at Durham University”.

In order to minimise involuntary deferrals, the University said it will seek “volunteers for deferral from across all incoming students, including those who have already had their places confirmed for 2020.” 

Those who defer will be rewarded with guaranteed College accommodation in 2021 and an additional financial bursary from the University “to help with their transition to university life”. Further details of this policy will be announced soon.

This news follows the government’s change in policy on Monday afternoon, when it was announced that students’ A Level and GCSE results would now be calculated using their CAGs, if their original, moderated results were lower. 39% of all A Level results were downgraded on results day, using a moderation system that factored in class size and a school’s previous academic performance, among other factors.

Durham University makes offers to 76.6% of applicants.

Other universities including Oxford and Cambridge have announced a similar policy to Durham’s, with the intention to admit all offer-holders who have the required A Level results, either this October or in 2021.

When a university makes a conditional offer, it is contractually obliged to accept any student who receives the required grades.

Save the Student reported in July that Durham University makes offers to 76.6% of applicants, however not all students put Durham as their firm choice.

In light of the announcement, Durham University asked offer-holders to continue to be patient, “safe in the knowledge that we will act as quickly as we can once we are in receipt of these results”.

The University said: “We understand this has been an extremely challenging time for applicants to Durham University, their families and their schools and colleges.”