University to consider erecting performance event venue on racecourse in June

Durham University is considering erecting a performance event venue at the Racecourse site for three weeks in June.

The venue, which would open on June 5th until 25th June, would provide a space for live performances and events to be held in a Covid-secure environment.

The space is still in its proposal stages, and is required to be formally signed off by Durham County Council.

According to the proposals, food trucks would be able to park on the Racecourse site, and a bar would be open to attendees, serving from 12pm-8pm, with events running up to 11pm.

Social distancing would be required inside the venue until regulations are lifted by the government, currently planned for June 21st. 

The venue would have a 450 person maximum capacity

The venue would have a 450 person maximum capacity (including staffing) to allow for 50% social distancing, and COVID monitors would be required at events. The capacity of the venue would not change after lockdown restrictions are lifted. 

Events will be seated, and attendees will be penned in household bubbles of up to six people. Households of more than six people would be required to split up. 

Student groups can apply to hold events at the venue between Saturday 3rd April and Sunday 18th April. The University will take between 5-20% of the income from ticket sales for each event, depending on capacity.

This comes after the University announced that Easter Term would be extended until 2nd July to allow for colleges and societies to organise events after lockdown restrictions are lifted on June 21st.