University “expects to lift some restrictions” as lockdown restrictions relaxed

The University has confirmed it “expects to life some restrictions” in light of government Covid-19 rules being relaxed from July 19th.

In an email to all students and staff, the University said it is “currently working through the implications of the announcement”. They will send a “detailed update following the next Government announcement”, due on Monday 12th July. In the meantime, current restrictions remain in place.

“Following the move to Step 4 we do expect to lift some University restrictions, in line with Government guidance, and will adapt to the context on campus. We will provide more information on health and safety measures on campus in the coming weeks”

Staff were told that “If your role allows, you should continue to work from home while we work through the latest Government guidance and prepare our campus for the next academic year”.

As restrictions are lifted across England on July 19th, Education Secretary Gavin Williamson has confirmed that there will be no restrictions on in-person teaching in universities. The only exceptions to this are if students are advised to isolate or in the case of local outbreaks.

The University is finalising plans to trial “Hybrid Working” for staff working in Professional Services, allowing them “to agree with their managers where and when they work”. This will apply “where the needs of the business and their role allows and in accordance with our University principles”.

The University’s Principles of Hybrid Working state that: “Our campus is the focal point of our vibrant University community and being part of that community will normally require colleagues to spend some time supporting our strategic endeavours on campus.”

The University emphasised that “it’s as important as ever that we continue to work together and there are some simple steps we can all take to protect ourselves and each other”.

These include getting vaccinated, self-isolating and booking a PCR test if you develop symptoms, and remembering “Hands, Face, Space and Fresh Air”.