Trump stirs the pot as Palestine seeks peace

Once again, the US shows utter disregard for the subtleties of conflict in the Middle East with a simplistic and ineffective solution; Trump’s plan for Israel-Palestine peace is obviously flawed and cannot be actualised. What is more interesting is how this plan reflects a change in US policy and the implications for peace in Palestine.

Trump’s plan redraws the boundaries dividing Palestine and Israel, with large areas of land around Jerusalem and the Jordan Valley given to Israel and Jerusalem as the ‘undivided capital’ of Israel. The proposed state of Palestine includes new territories near Trump stirs the pot as Palestine seeks peace the Egyptian border intended to compensate for the loss of other claimed territories. Israeli settlements, declared illegal by the United Nations, are to be legalised and annexed, connected to Israel through roads and tunnels hauntingly reminiscent of the division of Berlin.

The plan violates international legal prohibitions against annexation and undermines the principle of self-determination. But not only is it unjust and unlawful, it is also ineffective. The Palestinian people, and the President of the Palestinian Authority Mahmoud Abbas, have made it resoundingly clear that they will not accept such a plan. The militant group Hamas also shows no signs of reducing attacks. So far the main result of the plan has been an upsurge of violence. Three Palestinians killed in the West Bank, twelve Israeli soldiers hurt in Jerusalem, and further Israeli air strikes triggered by militants’ firing of mortars. The long term consequences of the plan should not be underestimated either. The legitimisation of Israel’s actions by an outside power is likely to stimulate tensions in the area.

The plan displays a simplicity that has come to characterise Trump’s policies. It is a statement: designed not to have any real effect but instead as a show of strength domestically and on the world stage. Netanyahu’s election is upcoming and it is possible Trump chose this moment to announce the plan to increase Netanyahu’s chances of re-election. Furthermore, Trump’s thoughts may be on his own office and the opportunity to boost his votes among evangelical Christians, who generally support Israel as the Jewish state. Any genuine plan for peace must involve both Palestine and Israel and take into account the rights and lives of civilians: surely the key people we must protect. And a solution for the crisis is also one rooted in people. The conflict is not simply one of states but it is embedded on the microlevel in religion, identity and norms.

A resolution is only possible if attitudes change in the citizens of Israel, Palestine and the international community. Changes in power configuration indicate the possibility of progress: China and India obtain greater prominence on the world stage, and Europe and Russia, more directly affected by the instability than the US, are likely to play a greater role. The US is not likely to retain its free hand in the Middle East, and looking at the direction in which its foreign policy is headed, we may be glad of this development.

Image Credit: ilirjan rrumbullaku via Flickr

One thought on “Trump stirs the pot as Palestine seeks peace

• No one will help the Palestinians – EXCEPT Turkey,Pakistan,Russia and China.Once this QUAD steps in,other nations MIGHT follow.

Israel gets Military and Financial aid from CHRISTIAN NATIONS – and that will NEVER STOP.The Genius of the Jews,is that,as per the OT, the Jews excoriated and killed Jesus, Condemned Jesus as a Mamzer/Charlatan/Blasphemer,and a violator of the Ora Law – BUT STILL,all the POPES are JEWS, and all the sites of Jesus in the Middle East,are UNDER THE CONTROL OF ISRAEL.

In addition,ISRAEL PROBABLY HAS THE ORIGINAL BARNABUS BIBLE AND THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS – which blows the MYTHS OF JESUS – as reckoned,by CATHOLICS.CHRISTIANS TRAVEL TO ISRAEL TO VISIT THEIR SITES – TO PAY BILLIONS OF USD,AS TOURISTS – TO ENSURE, THAT THE RABBIS KEEP A LID ON THE “SECRETS OF JESUS”

Israel CONTROLS the Christian FATH,PEOPLE and Christian Nations.The Israelis convinced Cyrus, Napoleon and Trump – that they were the chosen ones,to REBUILD THE TEMPLE – and TRUMP moved the US embassy to Jerusalem – as the 1st STEP ! dindooohindoo

The Only force,which can COUNTER THE ISRAELIS are the NON-CATHOLICS (like the Greek Orthodox Church of Russia),Islam (Turkey,Pakistan),Shiasm (Persians) and Leftists/Marxists (PTRC and Socialists/ Leftists/Marxists – all over the world – including the USA)

SO IT IS WAR OF IDEOLOGIES and RELIGIONS – being played,on the dead bodies of Palestinians and Arabs,in Gaza,Iraq,Syria and Iran ! THIS IS WHAT NO ONE ADMITS !

THAT IS Y HISTORY IS REPEATING FROM THE HEBREW BIBLE !

Zephaniah 2:4 ESV

For Gaza shall be deserted, and Ashkelon shall become a desolation; Ashdod’s people shall be driven out at noon, and Ekron shall be uprooted.!!

Zechariah 9:5 ESV

Ashkelon shall see it, and be afraid; Gaza too, and shall writhe in anguish; Ekron also, because its hopes are confounded. The king shall perish from Gaza; Ashkelon shall be uninhabited;

PROVIDENCE = ASHKELON AND ASHDOD ARE BOMBED, BY HAMAS ! “KING OF GAZA” is killed – which is the HAMAS COMMANDER IN GAZA !

MORAL OF STORY – SATURATION (EVEN BY ROCKETS) CAN DEFEAT ANY ADS !

IT IS ALL A IRANIAN PAYBACK FOR QASIM,N-PLANTS BOMBING AND KILLING OF N-SCIENTISTS.FROM ALL CALCULATIONS – COVID IS THE TIME TO STRIKE