The Durham Student Cookbook – Contribute a Recipe!

Like everyone and everything, Durham University Student Volunteering and Outreach (DUSVO) has been forced to adapt this year. It was difficult to scrap our in-person event ideas, but adversity often encourages innovation, and we’re really excited about the Covid-compliant fundraising plans that we have lined up for this year. Personally, my favourite project that we’re working on at the moment is The Durham Student Cookbook!

We’re asking Durham students, alumni, staff, societies, colleges, local businesses and friends of the university to donate recipes via our google form, which will then be compiled into a cookbook. Provided that we receive enough recipes, we hope to move into the editing phase of this project in the latter half of this term, in order to have the book self-published by the end of the year!

We have received some amazing submissions so far, from curries to homemade pizzas, pancakes to mug cakes. From the outset, we wanted the cookbook to consist of a large, diverse range of recipes to reflect the large, diverse community at Durham, and the university’s clubs and societies have been hugely helpful in enabling us to reach this target. So far, we have received a recipe for an authentic Italian spaghetti carbona from Durham Italian Society, a vegan and coconut curry from Veg Soc, and a recipe for the traditional Indonesian sweet snack, Klepon, from Durham Indonesian society – to name a few! College societies have also come out in full force: we’re especially grateful to John Snow’s cooking and baking societies, and to South College International, all of which have made some exciting contributions!

We’re still a little way off being able to collate the recipes and edit the cookbook, however. Going forward, we’d love to receive some more drinks recipes – cocktails and mocktails, for example. We would also love to get some more sports societies involved (think pre-match recipes, protein-rich recipes, and healthy meal ideas). That said, this project is not closed off to anyone; we’re encouraging everyone to get involved!

If you would like to donate a recipe, you can do so via our form:

https://forms.gle/pRuYQg6nxLLoc4RA6

You can find out more about DUSVO and the projects that the cookbook will be raising funds for on our website.

Every recipe takes us once step closer to finishing this project and fundraising for DUSVO, so thank you!

Illustration by