Teaching and Learning Centre wins architecture awards

Durham University’s Teaching and Learning Centre has been named as one of the ‘best architecture projects’ in the North East in the 2021 Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Awards.

The Teaching and Learning Centre was one of four winners in the North East category as well as being amongst the 54 winners in the national category.

The centre, located in the Lower Mountjoy site, opened in 2019 as part of the 2017-2027 Durham University Strategy and was designed by FaulkerBrowns Architects.

It is an outstanding addition to the university and the city.

Royal institute of british architects

RIBA praised the eco-conscious building design, noting how “the architects have created a roofscape that responds to the conservation and UNESCO world heritage site setting. The series of zinc standing seam asymmetric pyramidal forms are rotated to echo the ad-hoc evolution of the mediaeval rooftops of the city, and this connection is highly successful.”

The institute also commented on how “the subtle manipulation of blocks” create zones within the building and help to create a more articulated series of façades when viewed from the outside. The building sits back into the sloping site and when passing the building to the south, the roofscape becomes more visible and the experience of the building becomes more playful.

“Overall, this is a highly accomplished building. Restrained and sophisticated whilst also providing a welcoming environment and flexibility of use in a changing world of education. It is an outstanding addition to the university and the city.”

Images: David Cadzow and Jack HobHouse