Student households eligible for £150 rebate

Students living out of college in the 2021/22 academic year may be eligible for a £150 rebate as part of the government’s response to the current energy and cost-of-living crises.

The government payments are linked to Council Tax and have already been issued to some households as a rebate, however, as students are exempt from this levy, they must apply separately to Durham County Council.

Most households in Council Tax Bands A-D are eligible: students can check their Band here. Households which qualify will have received a letter from the Council to notify them. Hardship schemes are available, however, for those who do not meet the criteria.

Students who lived in college accommodation are not eligible for the rebate, however those living out may be

Students who lived in college accommodation are not eligible for the rebate, however, those living out may be. Alongside fulfilling the Council Tax bracket requirement, applicants must have had the right to live in the property on 1 April 2022, and can still apply if they have since moved out. Students with bills included in their tenancy contracts are not automatically ineligible, as the rebate is for the occupier of the property.

Only one application can be made per household, which is accessible through the form here. To apply, applicants must provide their Council Tax reference number, accessible by emailing Durham County Council with a copy of a tenancy agreement for the property concerned. The Council has set up a dedicated email to field questions from students: ERStudents@durham.gov.uk

Durham University has also advised students that they “may also wish to follow Matthew Boulton of Get My Deposit Back on Instagram @getmydepositback for information and advice.”

The sum will not need to be repaid.

More information is available on Durham County Council’s website.

Image: John Sutton via Wikimedia Commons

Support Palatinate