St Mary’s reacts to loss of “genuine friend”

1Euan

By Henry Clare 

A series of emotional tributes have taken place, following the tragic death of Euan Coulthard last month.

Euan, who was a second-year at St. Mary’s College, died after falling into the River Wear near Framwellgate Bridge.

Just hours after his body was recovered on the 23rd of January, Euan’s friends paid their respects in a service at St Mary’s.

Simon Hackett, Principal of St. Mary’s College, paid tribute to the “popular student.”

“We are deeply shocked and saddened by the death of Euan Coulthard.

“He was an extremely popular student with a warm character and a great sense of humour.

“Euan was a genuine friend to many, and this was evident from the sheer number of students who helped with the police search.

“He held a scholarship from the Squire Sanders Sutton Trust and as well as being a very bright and diligent student, he was passionate about sport; he played football for the College and took a keen interest in cricket.

“He will be deeply missed by everyone here at St. Mary’s College and at the University.

“Our thoughts are with Euan’s family and his friends at this very sad time.”

Last Friday, a candlelight vigil was held in remembrance of the student. Amy Simpkins, St Mary’s JCR President, also paid her respects to Euan following the service and, commenting on the communal St Mary’s response, said:

“Euan was a genuine friend to many, and this was evident from the sheer number of students who helped with the police search”.

“The strength and solidarity displayed over the past few weeks has been incredible ­— unity, kindness, and compassion have been demonstrated on so many different levels, and this really is testament to the extraordinary strength of our Mary’s community, and the support we give one another.

“We will remember the strength, courage, and dignity that the past few weeks have demonstrated, and will continue to support one another in our loss.”

The tragedy has united the college, with St Mary’s students making up a substantial portion of the 150 students that searched for Euan the day after he was declared missing.

As the search for Euan took place, livers-out were offered the opportunity to return to college at mealtimes, to unite the college.

Simon Hackett claimed the response to the situation has demonstrated the true college spirit.

“Throughout the whole of last two weeks, I have been extraordinarily proud of how our students have come together in the search for Euan and for the kindness, courage and dignity that they have shown to each other and to others.”

Photograph: Durham Constabulary