St Chad’s appoints new Principal

St Chad’s Collge has appointed Dr Margaret Masson as its new Principal, following the death of Rev Dr Joe Cassidy last March.

Dr Masson, who was previously Deputy Principal and Senior Tutor, had been Acting Principal since Dr Cassidy’s death.

Born in Scotland and raised in Zambia, Dr Masson studied at the University of Aberdeen before completing a PhD at Durham in 1988.

Dr Masson has previously taught in the United States, but returned to Durham in 1992 to become a lecturer in the Department of English Studies.

“I am delighted to be appointed to this role,” Dr Masson said.

“I look forward to building on the brilliant legacy of the late Joe Cassidy and leading the college into what promises to be an exciting new period of opportunity.”

Jonathan Blackie, Chair of Governors at the St Chad’s, said: “Margaret brings exceptional skills to the position, she understands the collegiate nature of the university and her appointment has been widely welcomed by both staff and students.”

Isaac Abraham, a third-year History and Politics student at St Chad’s, told Palatinate: “It’s safe to say that all of the College was really happy with the announcement of Dr Masson as our next principal.

“She’s an incredibly respected and popular figure in College, and embodies what we, as a community, are all about.

“I think people are confident that she’ll continue doing the great work she’s already done and see her as the perfect person to lead Chad’s in the long-term,” Isaac said.

First-year Politics and Philosophy student, Craig Bateman, said: “I am pleased that Dr Mason has been appointed as Principals of St Chad’s College to follow in the footsteps of the much beloved Papa Joe.

“Although I didn’t get the opportunity to meet him in person, I am aware of his emphasis on inclusive diversity and social justice. These are two values which I am sure Dr Mason will do everything to champion and promote.”

Evie Griffiths, a first-year Archaeology student, said: “Everyone was really pleased that Dr Masson was selected.

“There were lots of congratulations posters up around the College, and Dr Masson was really touched with all of the celebrations.”

Photograph: Durham University