Smart studying suggestions from cognitive psychology

The word ‘study’ will probably make most of you break out into a sweat, and I don’t blame you – it can be overwhelming. Studying is time consuming, and requires patience and motivation, of which many students will be lacking at the moment. But what is the most effective way to study? Perhaps looking to cognitive psychology can give us the answers, namely the learning and retrieval processes that are the underlying mechanisms of studying. Ebbinghaus’s ‘Total Time Hypothesis’ established that the more time you spend learning (in this case, revising), the better you will perform during recall (in this case, an exam). This makes sense but is a very arbitrary explanation. You need to use the time wisely!

Below I will give 5 general tips (all backed by psychology of course) to use study time effectively

Tip 1: Get in the Right Headspace

Make sure, when you sit down to study, your brain is ready to take in information. Make sure to stay away from distractions (turn off your phone and music).  Stay well rested and take short breaks. All very hard, I know, but necessary to process information better. Exercising before starting work can also help the absorption of information due to the amazing mixture of hormones and neurotransmitters released (all the nice ones like serotonin and dopamine) along with a release of BDNF which is involved in the formation of new brain cells.

Exercising before starting work can also help the absorption of information

Tip 2: Testing your Knowledge

By far the superior method of studying is to test yourself. Repeated testing has been proven by multiple studies to lead to better recall from long term memory. Not only can you learn facts by using multiple choice questions or flashcards, but also gain necessary practice in essay writing. In addition to this, getting feedback matters, whether this is from self, peer or staff marking. A lack of feedback can lead to the same mistakes being made again later on.

Tip 3: Space it out!

Don’t cram it all in at the last minute! The ‘Spacing Effect’ suggests that leaving gaps between learning/studying will make you remember information better and for longer. Even better, using a technique where you alternate between learning and self-testing, while increasing the gap between the two, will allow for better retention for longer.

The ‘Spacing Effect’ suggests that leaving gaps between learning/studying will make you remember information better

Tip 4: Teach and Make

You learn and retain information better from things you have generated yourself. For example, making tests/quizzes, mnemonics, or mind-maps can help you take in the information you need to.

Teaching another means you learn information with the intention to pass it on. This ensures you have retained information completely and it is fully understood, rather than passively learnt.

Tip 5: Interleaving

Interleaved practice refers to using a variation of approaches and studying a variation of topics at once. It is much easier to experience burnout if you stick to one topic for a long time so mix it up! Ensure you cover all bases, alternating between and integrating topics until you have a full bank of working knowledge.

Hopefully, there is something there that is useful, or has inspired you to pick up the books and get stuck in. Find something that works for you – everyone is different and making exam time as stress-free as possible is the most important thing!

Good luck and happy studying!

Image: Lance Goyke via Flickr

One thought on “Smart studying suggestions from cognitive psychology

• 如果您想顺利地代写金融作业 https://meiguodaixie.com/finance-dai-xie/ ,需要学习数学,包括微积分(稍微难一点。如果您看到衍生工具,您最好学习数学分析,或者本科学习math或物理)、线性代数(矩阵,稍后用于计量经济学)、概率和统计学(概率论和统计学,这比你在高中学到的要困难得多,而且非常非常重要),计量经济学(统计学的一个应用,简单地说,就是回到这个地区。您应该在学术研究中学得很好。如果您不这样做,这也是锻炼您思维的一个好方法),作为金融专业的毕业生,您必须学习衍生品,因此math必须有布朗运动、随机过程等,但它仍然会被学习数学的学生压垮(这就是为什么许多学生获得数学双学位的原因)。