Review: The Food Pit

The Food Pit is a wonderful place to eat if you’re looking for restaurant-quality street food. The indoor food market on Durham’s Riverwalk allows diners to choose dishes from different stalls and eat al fresco whilst admiring the view of Durham Castle and River Wear. This was my first experience of dining of this kind – I loved it!

The Experience

The atmosphere at The Food Pit is busy and fun, much like traditional street food markets. What makes The Food Pit different is that once you have your food, the vibe becomes relaxed and pleasurable, and you feel like you’re eating in a well-established restaurant. The portions are huge and we didn’t feel rushed. In fact, we sat in the sun eating and admiring the stunning view. We ordered through an app that let us pick items from the 6 stalls and bar. The menu is vast however, each stall had only a couple of veggie/vegan options and the app was slow and fiddley. The food, however, came out in less than 10 minutes thus we were all willing to forgive the app…

The Food

Manao Thai: We ordered a prawn Pad Thai (£12.95) and Chicken Chow mein (£10.95).

Value for money: 4/5. The portion was so big, I’m glad they presented it in a resealable box.

Taste: 5/5. The best Pad Thai I have tasted. It used fresh ingredients, wasn’t heavy or greasy and tasted authentic.

Greek Kitchen: My friends both ordered a mixed grill platter (£11.95) which came with chicken gyros, lamb kofta, pork souvlaki, fries, pitta bread, tzatziki, and salad (woah).

Value for money: 4/5. Worth it for everything it came with. Look at the size of that plate!

Taste 5/5: ‘Exquisite taste, cooked to perfection’- Sriram Naresh. The meat did look juicy.

Holy Guacamoley: My friend ordered a BBQ pulled pork burrito (£7.95) which arrived with tortilla chips and sour cream. She bought extra guacamole too.

Value for money: 4/5. Very filling but could’ve been slightly more generous.

Taste: 3.5/5. ‘Would’ve been better with tomato or coriander rice instead of plain white rice, to give that authentic taste. Guac was very nice’- Nikola Lazri.

Bubble waffle society: We had a cookies and cream bubble waffle to share which came with ice cream and whipped cream (£5.25). The last bite was physically fought over, and the entire plate was devoured in about 3 minutes.

Value for money: 5/5. This gets the highest score as I would expect to pay around £7 for this portion in a dessert place.

Taste 5/5: I had to wipe the Nutella off my face for this picture. Nuff said.

I highly recommend The Food Pit to anyone wanting to eat fun, delicious food with a beautiful view, especially if you’re running low on time and money. We are yet to try the ‘Durham Sausage Co’, ‘Fresco’ and the cocktails which were ‘2 for £9.50’ but I can assure you, I’ll be back!

Images: