Review: Dweebs: A Manic Comedy Night

By Amelie Lambie-Proctor

On Monday the 9th of October Fabio’s Bar was re-arranged to host a superb array of comedians. Both newcomers to the comedy stage and returners entertained a packed audience. Curated by and Jack Simmonds, the evening was a triumph. From killer deadpan to powerful punchlines, the night was crammed with multiple variations of comedy performed by six individuals. Lycett and Simmonds managed the night ensuring smooth (and comical) transitions between performances. However, the night was opened by two alpine skiers ( and Teilo Rees), who set up the evening perfectly and began to tease laughter from the audience. Next Lycett and Simmonds took to the stage to give the audience a more formal welcome. The banter between the pair is contagious and their tight friendship makes for a stellar comedy duo! Again, it was the perfect build-up to the acts as the two introduced themselves, based on cards written by their respective partner. The very premise of this naturally eased laughter from the audience and perfectly prepared them for the next act.

Up next was Elaine Robertson. Robertson is an absolute natural and her hilarious anecdotes promise hysterics. Robertson takes a comfortable stance on stage and her energy is palpable. With a conversational tone, Robertson brings to life stories from her school and university days, Robertson’s comedy is relatable and fresh. Her delivery was brilliantly crisp and not a word was missed. An impressive lively opening, her performance set the bar high for others to come.

It is clear improvisation is a key skill Best has mastered

Next was Alex Knipe, yet another strong performer. Taking a different style than Robertson, Knipe’s performance consisted of him telling us why he was a rubbish music student. Knipe was deadpan in his deliverance, which he performed perfectly. His comic timing was also impeccable. Knipe is a natural comedian, his musical jokes and use of props (even just a small sheet of paper), make his performance authentic and as if he is delivering the jokes for the very first time which gives his rehearsed performance an injection of spontaneity, which only elevates the comical effect. Knipe is clearly a talented comedian.

Following this performance was Fran Best. Best’s performance was outstanding, initially starting with an on-stage mistake, accidentally cutting her lip with the microphone, Best made the best of the situation and seamlessly worked this mistake into her performance. It is clear improvisation is a key skill Best has mastered. Without this mistake, Best’s set was comical in its own right. Sharing her hate for casual sex, Best had the audience in the palm of her hand and her laid-back delivery and relaxed demeanour were excellent at drawing the audience in and hooking them on every word, especially on her particularly funny punch lines.

Eli Fuller performed next as ‘Blush the self-taught clown’. Fuller’s performance of the dismal clown went from strength to strength. Expecting to be entertaining at a child’s birthday party Blush the clown prepares to entertain us instead. Fuller is clearly an equally talented writer and performer, working well with audience interaction too. One of Fuller’s notable jokes is handing a deflated balloon to a participating audience member claiming it to be a worm after offering to make them a balloon animal! With deadpan delivery, Fuller captures the character of Blush with precision and it is impossible not to laugh.

Fuller is clearly an equally talented writer and performer, working well with audience interaction too

Kerris Gibson took to the stage next. Gibson’s act was full of zest and passion. Gibson’s comedy was again relatable, a memorable joke involving eating from the air fryer naked! Gibson had such a powerful energy and confidence, which meant her delivery was impactful. Keeping a continuous flow of giggles, Gibson built to punchlines effortlessly whilst also keeping the audience hooked on her funny anecdotes.

Closing off the night was comedian Morgan Rees, and his performance did not disappoint. The most memorable element of his performance was his energy. Rees performs with vigour and his subject matter is hilarious. He performs as if he were a great friend, and this makes for a set that is captivating, you can’t wait to hear the next word. His facial expressions are vivid and bold, elevating the comedic lines. Rees fantastically opens the imaginations of his audience members through expressive body language which paints his tales and brings them to life.

Dweebs: A Manic Comedy Night, was a brilliantly put together evening. A standout element was the slick audience interactions from every member who performed, they seemed to be of a second nature. At times, there were moments of nerves however they did not take away from the performances. Lycett and Simmonds most crucially put together a cast that although all performed from the genre, injected their own personalities, which made each performance different from the previous. It will not be a night to forget and the newcomers to the stage certainly have set themselves up well for the rest of their careers.

Image credit: and Ben Lycett

2 thoughts on “Review: Dweebs: A Manic Comedy Night

• Dweebs: A Manic Comedy Night” sounds like a riotous blend of laughter and chaos. I’m intrigued by the prospect of a comedy night infused with high energy and zany humor. It’s bound to be an entertaining and unforgettable experience. Laughter is a universal language, and events like these bring people together for a night of joy and amusement. I’m definitely keen on attending and immersing myself in the hilarity and excitement this event promises.