Review: BTC’s ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat’

Bailey Theatre Company and John’s Music Society’s production of Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat is an exuberant explosion of musical theatre fun that is sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face. This is the first joint production by the two societies with hopefully many more to come.

It is clear throughout the show that this is a cast and crew working together in harmony, with clear goals and ambition to do the best within its practical limitations. Director, Chessy Weiner, and Assistant Director, Laura Hardaker, have clear intentions with what they want ‘Joseph’ to do, and they absolutely knock the style and tone of the production out of the park. With simple, understated and inventive use of props, costumes, and minimal set, this is a show that never fails to entertain and invite the audience to erupt with laughter. Decisions around costume and props allow for a sense of immediacy — letting the audience in on the joke from the offset and creating magically camp moments. From beginning to end, the creativity of the production team shines through the intimacy of the space and overall vision of the show. 

They absolutely knock the style and tone of the production out of the park

Once the band settles into the performance, it is aglow with the pizazz and melodrama that this Webber musical asks for. The band and Musical Director, Jonjo Palmer, roll with the punches that technical difficulties bring and recover quickly from any musical mishaps. This is a commendable aspect of the show — any tech issues are noticeably resolved as soon as they are first noticed, such as adjustments to sound levels, any delays in cues or interference. Jude Holloway, the trumpet player, Brooke Christiansen, the flautist, and on keys are particularly consistent in being the standout in the band’s performance. However, the band overall works as an impressive and cohesive underpinning of the whole show. Furthermore, the use of lighting is as cheesy as it should be, ranging from disco technicoloured bonanza to overdramatic washes on a poor, poor Joseph. 

Speaking of Joseph, is superb as he is entertaining. Never taking himself too seriously, he gels seamlessly into an ensemble cast of extremely talented singers and actors. ’s heavenly voice narrates the show, providing delightful comic relief as she joins the other characters in choreography and shines in so many gorgeous musical numbers. Another two highlights of the show are ’s flamboyant and hilarious portrayals of Potiphar’s Wife and Pharoah — although, hilariously, his sheer commitment to his Elvis impersonation does render it somewhat unintelligible at times. 

Speaking of Joseph, is superb as he is entertaining. Never taking himself too seriously, he gels seamlessly into an ensemble cast of extremely talented singers and actors

The ensemble cast is stellar. Singing their hearts out in goosebump-inducing entrances, and each carrying charismatic and joyous energy throughout the show to make this performance what it is. Some particular highlights are the staging and sensational deliveries of ‘Those Canaan Days’, and ‘One More Angel in Heaven’. ’s lovely choreography, although a little clunky at times, has heart, imagination, and fun at its core. 

JMS X BTC’s production of Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat is a dream to enjoy. This is a performance that thinks on its feet and rolls with its technical and practical punches and knows exactly what it wants to achieve — and does that and more. An energetic, tongue in cheek performance that is colourful and light-hearted: if you go go go go see this show, you will not be disappointed by the talent it has to offer. 

Image credit: Bailey Theatre Company