Record number of Durham University subjects ranked in World Top 50

By Natasha Livingstone

Durham University has recorded its highest ever number of subjects in the QS World University Subject Rankings 2018 for the second year running.

16 subjects are have achieved a place in the World Top 100 of the prestigious international table, an increase from 14 subjects last year.

Three departments have maintained their position in the World Top 10, with Theology & Religion being ranked 3rd place, Archeology 5th and Geography achieving 6th place.

Nine Durham University departments now appear in the World Top 50, compared to eight last year. Durham University is ranked 25th globally for Classics, while Earth Sciences, Anthropology, English, History and Law, feature in the Top 50.

A further seven subjects – Chemistry, Languages, Philosophy, Physics, Politics, Psychology and Social Policy – are listed in the World Top 100.

Across broad subject areas, Arts and Humanities reached 31st place, rising 14 places from 2017. Natural Sciences has also improved its ranking, rising 13 places to 59th position.

Social Sciences and Management’s place in the league table improved the most, increasing by 20 places to reach 72nd place.

Despite Durham University as an institution falling four places to 78th, the University is consistently ranked highly in other league tables.

Nationally, Durham is one of the UK’s top performing universities and is ranked fourth in the Guardian’s University Guide 2018, fifth in The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide 2018, and sixth in The Complete University Guide 2018.

The University also has the highest rate of employment and further study in the UK for undergraduates completing their first degree, according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency 2017/18.

In response to the league table, Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor of Durham University, said: “To surpass our achievements in this respected international ranking is wonderful and testimony to the truly world-class research and education we provide at Durham.

“Our students are taught by some of the world’s leading researchers as part of a rounded educational experience that enables them to develop both their knowledge of their chosen degrees and their skills and talents, whether that is in drama, music, sport or volunteering. Our students are rightly in great demand by employers around the world.

“Everyone at the University can be rightly proud of these rankings and their contributions to Durham’s continuing success.”

Universities are ranked on criteria including academic and employer reputation, research citations and the productivity and impact of the work published by academics.

Photograph: Durham University