Pre-booking for Bill Bryson Library returns

The University has confirmed that, from Monday 10th January, Bill Bryson Library will be accessible only with a pre-booked timeslot.

This change is in-line with the University’s temporary adjustments to teaching and learning and wider student experience (WSE) during the first two weeks of Epiphany term, which were announced in an email to students yesterday. Bookings will initially only be required for these two weeks. The policy will then be reviewed, and either extended or removed.

A message on the library bookings page initially said: “Please consider if your booking is for essential use. If you no longer require your booking, please cancel it in advance”. Similar messaging was used under Covid-19 restrictions last academic year.

The “essential use” request has since been removed and Palatinate understands that it was mistakenly left on the booking form from when the timeslot system was last implemented.

Bookings will need to be made through the online Space Bookings System, which opens at 4:30pm today. All spaces available will be for individual study only.

Access to Small Island Coffee in Bill Bryson Library will also only be available to those with a booking.

These new measures will be “reviewed regularly”, alongside the University’s temporary adjustments.

Changes will also apply to the Barker Research Library at Palace Green. The Teaching and Learning Centre and Leazes Road Study Space will remain available as non-bookable study spaces at this time, with group study spaces still available at both locations.

The University has stated that capacities will be reduced, to ensure that buildings remain Covid-secure. One-way systems will not be re-introduced “at this stage”, but the University will encourage library users to keep to the left “where possible” when moving around buildings. Face coverings must be worn at all times, including when sitting at a study desk (unless exempt).

The Library’s eresources, including the Library catalogue and Virtual Enquiry Desk, will remain accessible online.

This article has been updated to reflect changes to the Library’s pre-booking form.

Image by