Police cordon off Durham Market Square after serious assault

By Nicole Ireland

A woman has been arrested after an allegation of a serious assault to a man who had to be taken to hospital by ambulance as police shut off the Market Square area within Durham City centre.

Following an incident in Durham Market Place on the afternoon of August 5th allegedly between a man and a woman at around 2pm, a man has suffered a single stab wound to the back.

The police arrested a woman, and erected a cordon from Tesco Express to Café Nero on Silver Street.

The victim, who is in his mid-30s, was taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle for treatment, although his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

“We are confident that this was an isolated incident between two people who are known to each other and there is no threat to the wider public”

detective inspector malcolm bell

Following these allegations, Zoe Jurj, a 43-year-old of no fixed abode, was due to appear in before Newton Aycliffe Magistrates’ Court on Monday 7th August, charged with GBH (grievous bodily harm) and possession of an offensive weapon.

Detective Inspector Malcolm Bell, of Durham City CID, said: “We are confident that this was an isolated incident between two people who are known to each other and there is no threat to the wider public.

“However, members of the community will notice an additional police presence in the city centre over the coming days.”