No criminal charges brought following the death of Durham student Olivia Burt

No criminal prosecutions will be brought in relation to the tragic death of Olivia Burt. The first-year Natural Sciences student at University College, and member of the British sailing team, died on 7 February 2018 after a metal barrier collapsed outside Durham’s Missoula nightclub, now the Slug and Lettuce.

The Burt family’s lawyer has said that the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed that there was insufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction.

A police investigation had referred the case to the CPS to consider the offences of manslaughter by gross negligence and corporate manslaughter.

“Clearly we are deeply disappointed that after such a lengthy investigation, lasting more than two and a half years this decision has been reached”

Olivia’s parents

Olivia’s parents, Nigel and Paula Burt, commented: “Clearly we are deeply disappointed that after such a lengthy investigation, lasting more than two and a half years this decision has been reached.

We hope that there will now be a thorough and independent investigation into whether any health and safety offences have been committed.”

Since her death, Olivia’s parents have set up Olivia Inspires, which aims to help children and young people aged 11 to 18 whose families live in the New Forest District Council area and are facing financial hardship.

Image: Olivia Inspires